What Is A Mini-Split Air Conditioning System?
If you’ve been thinking there’s a better way to cool your house this coming spring and summer than to drag those old, heavy window air conditioners down from the attic, you’re right: a mini-split system is a much smarter cooling solution for your New Jersey home.
Facts About Ductless A/C Systems
But how much do you know about these high-efficiency cooling wonders? Here are seven things to know about mini-split systems for your home.
- A mini-split (also called a “ductless A/C” or “ductless mini-split”) system has two parts – one inside the house (called an air handler) and one outside the house (called a condenser for cooling-only models or a heat pump for units that cool and heat). A single condenser can operate up to four air handlers, or “zones.”
- The key advantage of a mini-split system is that it doesn’t need ductwork.
- It can be installed quickly and cost effectively;
- It can go just about anywhere in your house – from room additions and offices to converted attics and media / data storage rooms where climate control is needed;
- No windows are required, since the unit installs directly into the wall;
- Your air quality will improve, since there are no ducts in which harmful microorganisms can grow and thrive; and
- You won’t lose energy through leaky ducts (in a central air conditioning system, as much as 30 percent of your cool air can be lost this way).
- Another key mini-split advantage is that the system is very flexible: not only can you vary the size of air handlers for each room, but you can also control the energy spent in each zone via the air handler’s thermostat.
- Unlike window A/C units, a mini-split won’t take away your view or provide a way for an intruder to invade your home; All that mini-split system installation requires is a 3-inch hole in your wall to connect the air handler to the condenser.
- Mini-split systems are extremely efficient, with some achieving SEER ratings ranging well into the 20s (most are in the 18-20 range).
- Mini-split systems are extremely quiet – much quieter than a window air conditioner.
- The temperature in a mini-split system is set and changed via remote control.
Summer’s on the way – if you’re ready for an A/C upgrade, plan ahead! Contact JW Pierson today for a FREE estimate on a mini-split air conditioner installation in NJ!