Is a Ductless Mini-Split Right for Me?
With temperatures due to rise and the coronavirus potentially keeping us home more than usual in the coming weeks and months, having an efficient and reliable air conditioning system that protects our indoor air quality will be more important than ever this year.
That’s what makes replacing your window A/Cs with a ductless mini-split air conditioner a smart move.
Mini-split systems are a great, cost-effective alternative to inefficient window units. They’re the best option for homes that lack existing ductwork, and a great choice anywhere you need cool air efficiently delivered indoors.
Here are the five biggest ductless mini-split benefits compared to traditional cooling systems and heat pumps:
- Improved indoor air quality – Ductless systems can drastically reduce dust, bacteria, pollen, and other air-borne particulates from your home air. With traditional HVAC systems, air ducts have to be cleaned every three to five years by professionals – and even after cleaning, microorganisms and other allergens can be left behind.
- Money savings – Ductless systems require less energy to drive than central A/Cs, which means your energy bills will be lower – important when you’re running the unit more frequently. Tax credits and utility rebates for high-efficiency mini-split systems can bring even more savings (contact us for details on current incentives).
- Placement flexibility – Unlike central heat pumps and air conditioning systems, ductless systems can direct targeted cool air into different sections of your home. Indoor air handler units can be arranged where you need them, sized to the cooling load of the particular room where you place them. Ductless systems don’t need a window, either, giving you the ability to place them in basements and other windowless rooms.
- Ease of installation – Ductless systems can be installed in just a day. Each indoor unit runs on small pipes from the outdoor condenser unit, requiring only a small three-inch hole in your wall. There’s no need to rebuild walls or ceilings around ductwork, and no loss of precious square footage in your indoor space. And you’ll never have to lug your window unit up from the basement or down from the attic again.
- Reduced carbon emissions – Small, flexible, ENERGY STAR rated ductless systems run more efficiently than central air systems. They also use a refrigerant called R410A, which is far more friendly to the ozone than other refrigerants.
At JW Pierson, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our Covid-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep our your family and our crews safe and your home cooling and heating systems working through this challenging time.
If you need to install a ductless mini-split air conditioner or need professional A/C maintenance in NJ, contact the pros at JW Pierson today.