The Truth About Oil Heat Vs. Electric Heat
Recently, New Jersey homeowners have been bombarded with advertising designed to convince them to convert their oil-fired heating system to an electric-powered one. But is that a smart move?
The fact is that when it comes to keeping you warm through the long NJ winter, heating oil offers unique benefits that few energy sources – especially electricity – can match.
Benefits Of Heating Oil
Why stay with heating oil rather than changing over to electricity? Consider these benefits:
- It’s better for the planet – Advocates for electricity will point to the low emissions produced by electric appliances, but that doesn’t take the full picture into account. The fact is, more than half the electricity generated in New Jersey is produced by burning natural gas, which is 95 percent methane – a greenhouse gas with 84 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide over a 20-year period. Add to that the inefficiency of transporting electricity (nearly two-thirds of electricity generated at most power plants is lost between the plant and the consumer, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration), heating oil owns the smaller carbon footprint.
- You’ll be safer – According to a recent National Fireman’s Protection Association study, electric heating accounted for six times more fires, more than nine times more civilian deaths, nearly 12 times more civilian injuries, and nearly 15 times more direct property damage than heating systems powered by liquid fuel. This is in large part due to the fact that heating oil is not flammable in a liquid state: it requires very specific conditions in order to burn at all.
- You’ll stay warmer – When it comes to belting out Btus, nothing beats oil heat. Heating oil can generate temperatures of up to 1,200°F when burned – much more than electricity. That means your home will heat faster and you’ll need to burn less fuel to stay comfortable.
- You’ll get more heating bank for your buck – Although many of today’s electric-powered appliances boast high efficiencies, so do today’s oil-fired furnaces and boilers. The difference again comes down to oil’s higher Btu output: by producing so much heat, your equipment can run intermittently rather than constantly, ultimately giving you more heating value for your money.
- Longer-lasting equipment – With proper maintenance, today’s oil-fired heating furnaces and boilers can last 30 years or more – significantly longer (sometimes twice as long) as systems powered by electricity.
The bottom line: Don’t believe the hype: there’s a reason why oil heat has been the most reliable source of home heating in the northeastern U.S. for more than a century! To learn more, contact the heating pros at JW Pierson today. And remember: for reliable heating oil delivery in NJ, nobody beats JW Pierson!