Do You Need A New Oil Tank? 8 Signs You Might
A heating oil tank is built like…well, a tank. But that doesn’t mean it will last forever. Depending on how well it was built, installed, and maintained, a heating oil storage tank will last anywhere from 15 to 30 years or more.
The challenge with heating oil tanks, however, is that at least some of the problems associated with them – including internal tank corrosion – are not always easy to see, which means you might be living with a hazard in your basement without knowing it.
Old Oil Tank Warning Signs
Still, there are often warning signs of a troubled heating tank. Here are eight common ones:
- Rust and dents — Rust and dent marks indicate a problem with how the oil tank is operating.
- Moisture — Wet spots underneath the tank or on its surface could mean you have a condensation problem – a common indicator of trouble.
- Problem or weakened legs — A full 275-gallon oil tank can way more than a ton, and all of that pressure goes right on your tank’s supporting legs. If your tank was poorly installed, it’s just a matter of time before a problem arises. If your oil tank legs appear unstable in any way, have your tank inspected immediately.
- A broken vent alarm — Most oil tanks make a sound when they’re being filled to let the delivery team know that oil is flowing; if you don’t hear a sound when you fill the tank, have it serviced.
- A faulty fuel gauge — If the fuel gauge is stuck or broken, have it fixed immediately – a fuel run-out can damage your fuel lines and cause other problems with your heating system.
- Stray oil – Oil near the tank — especially on the ground or near the tank gauge – usually indicates a leak. Since oil tanks usually leak from the inside-out, it could be the first sign of a bigger problem.
- Damaged oil lines — Oil lines carry oil between the tank and the furnace; if the rubber tubing is split or cracked, have the unit serviced immediately.
- Higher bills — If you’re using oil faster than usual, or if you notice higher heating bills without a change in weather or oil prices, you could have a problem with your tank, or with some other element in your heating system. Have a pro check it out.
Professional Oil Tank Repairs And Installation In NJ
If you are experiencing any of these problems, it’s time to have a pro take a look at your oil tank. If your tank is 20 years old or older, it could be time to replace it before it fails. The good news is that JW Pierson offers FREE heating oil tank inspections to help you decide if tank repair or replacement is your better option.
If you do decide to replace your oil tank, rest assured that our experts will install top-quality, double-walled Roth tanks that are virtually leak-proof. To put your mind even further at ease, we’ll include three years of Proguard tank protection for FREE with any purchase.*
Having problems with your old oil storage tank? Contact JW Pierson today for a FREE heating oil tank inspection. We’ll examine the problem and let you know what options you have – from oil tank repairs to new oil tank installations in NJ.
*Proguard covers cleanup costs in the rare event of a leak or tank replacement. Contact us for details.