What Is Biofuel, and Why Should I Use It?
Looking for a way to shrink the carbon footprint of your home, but don’t want to spend the time or money to convert your oil-fired heating system?
We have a solution for you: Biofuel.
Not familiar with Biofuel? Here are some answers to common questions about this cleaner, greener alternative to common home heating oil.
- What is Biofuel? Biofuel is a fuel made by mixing ultra-low sulfur heating oil (ULSHO) with biodiesel – a renewable energy resource made in America from fatty acids found in soy and vegetable oils, animal fats, recycled restaurant oils and other natural sources.
- What do the numbers in a Biofuel name mean? Since Biofuel is a blend of fuels, it is named by the percentage of biodiesel it contains – for example, B5 is five percent biodiesel. Typical blends range from two to twenty percent biodiesel per gallon (ours is a 10 percent blend).
- How will Biofuel save me money? While Biofuel does cost slightly more per gallon than regular No. 2 heating oil, it will save you money in the long run because it burns cleaner than regular heating oil –which means your heating system will last longer and require fewer heating repairs.
- How does Biofuel help the environment? Biofuel burns cleaner than regular heating oil, which means you will reduce the amount of smog-producing emissions by using it. By burning cleaner, Biofuel will also extend the life of heating equipment, which means that fewer furnaces and boilers will find their way into the landfill.
- Do I need to make any changes to my current equipment to use Biofuel? Most major heating system manufacturers accept Biofuel as covered under their warranties for use, and you won’t need to make any changes to your furnace, boiler or oil storage tank to use it. In fact, your equipment will be glad you made the switch (see fact #3 above). If you want to confirm that your system will work with Biofuel, contact us.
JW Pierson offers Biofuel delivery in NJ to customers anywhere in our Essex County service area. Contact us today to make the switch and join the JW Pierson family of customers!